Police: Suspect accused of fatally shooting man on Facebook Live turns himself in

Man charged in Union County Facebook Live fatal shooting
Published: Feb. 26, 2018 at 3:41 PM EST|Updated: Feb. 27, 2018 at 6:19 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
(Source: A screenshot from the Facebook Live)
(Source: A screenshot from the Facebook Live)
(Source: A screenshot from the Facebook Live)
(Source: A screenshot from the Facebook Live)
Douglas Colson
Douglas Colson
(Source: Sky3 | WBTV)
(Source: Sky3 | WBTV)
(Source: Sky3 | WBTV)
(Source: Sky3 | WBTV)

UNION COUNTY, NC (WBTV) - The suspect who was wanted for reportedly shooting and killing a man while on Facebook Live near Wingate University's campus turned himself in Tuesday morning, police say.

Police say Douglas Cleveland Colson reportedly fatally shot Prentis Robinson on Jerome Street in Wingate Monday morning. The shooting happened near Wingate University. Police and deputies with the Union County Sheriff's Office were on scene for some time following the shooting.

Officials confirmed that Robinson was on Facebook Live when he was shot. The video shows Robinson walking down the street talking to the camera, which appeared to be attached to a "selfie stick."

Robinson appears to notice another person - the shooter - on the side of the road and exchanges a few words with him, including telling him he's "on live." Within seconds about four shots can be heard and the camera drops to the ground.

The gunman can then be seen quickly walking over the camera as he runs from the scene.

Officers say Colson was questioned Monday, however, he was not arrested at the time. A short time later, more information was discovered that led to officials issuing a warrant for first-degree murder against Colson, officials say.

On Tuesday, police said Colson was taken into custody after he turned himself in.

Officials are looking for a reason behind the death of Prentis Robinson. One theory that's been floating around is the fact that Robinson tried to be a vigilante and expose criminal activity that was happening on the streets which angered some of the neighbors.

"From a law enforcement standpoint, I'm not sure he went about it the right way," Chief Gay says.

Chief Gay also admits he's never arrested anyone because of Robinson's efforts.

Douglas Colson will make his first appearance in court Wednesday morning.

The last time the city witnessed a murder, according to police, was in 1993.

**WARNING: The video below shows Prentis Robinson being shot on Facebook Live. Investigators say Robinson later died. The video contains graphic images and language, and may not be appropriate for all viewers.**

Wingate University was placed on lockdown for some time following the shooting since the incident happened near the campus. A campus alert was sent to students alerting them to the situation.

"This is not a test. Wingate University has issued immediate lockdown procedures for the main campus. Please remain calm. Move to the nearest building and close and lock all doors and windows. Close all blinds and turn off the lights. Silence cell phones and wait for further direction from emergency personnel. More detailed information will follow soon. This is not a test."

Deputies say the lockdown was for precautionary reasons. The lockdown was lifted just before 1 p.m.

The university resumed normal operations by Monday afternoon and law enforcement crews remained on campus.

On Monday, school officials said Colson may be armed with a long gun. School officials said Colson was last seen wearing a blue and black windbreaker, with brown Timberland boots, according to school officials.

Police said Colson was considered to be armed and dangerous.

No shots were fired on campus. Deputies tweeted that university students and students who attend Wingate Elementary were safe.

A portion of Jerome Street was shut down while deputies investigated the deadly shooting.

If you have any information, you can call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

Copyright 2018 WBTV. All rights reserved.