Advertisement

Burning cigarette likely cause of two-alarm fire in Rowan County

Published: Sep. 29, 2017 at 11:48 AM EDT|Updated: Sep. 30, 2017 at 8:21 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
David Whisenant | WBTV
David Whisenant | WBTV
Submitted photo
Submitted photo

ROWAN COUNTY, NC (WBTV) - A cigarette left burning was likely the cause of a two-alarm fire in Rowan County Friday morning.

The fire was reported just after 7 a.m. in a outbuilding next to a home in the 6900 block of Old Beatty Ford Road in Rockwell.

Robert Ashby lived in the structure, according to officials.  He said that he fell asleep in a recliner and left a cigarette burning.  The cigarette caught the chair on fire.

Ashby was not hurt in the fire.

Old Beatty Ford Road was closed for approximately two hours.

The American Red Cross was called in to help the residents.

The Bostian Heights Fire Department, the Rowan County Rescue Squad and fire departments including China Grove, South Salisbury, Locke, Rockwell Rural, Rockwell city, Faith and Rimer all responded to the fire.

Copyright 2017 WBTV. All rights reserved.