Malfunctioning air conditioner sparks fire at Monkey Joe's in Matthews

Updated: Aug. 19, 2017 at 1:38 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
(Courtesy: Matthews Fire Department)
(Courtesy: Matthews Fire Department)

MATTHEWS, NC (WBTV) - A family play center in Matthews was shut down for several hours Saturday while firefighters responded to a mechanical fire.

According to the Matthews Fire Department, the fire occurred around 10:30 a.m. at the Monkey Joe's on East Independence Boulevard in Matthews.

Firefighters said the fire was caused due to an air conditioning unit that had a mechanical malfunction.

Crews said firefighters were able to control the fire quickly. The fire was contained to the air conditioning unit, firefighters say.

The building was not damaged, crews said. The business reopened around 1 p.m.

No one was hurt in the fire. One firefighter was treated on scene by MEDIC due to the heat.

Copyright 2017 BTW. All rights reserved.