Charlotte man facing murder charges in death of girlfriend's baby

Published: Jun. 8, 2017 at 1:53 PM EDT|Updated: Jun. 9, 2017 at 5:41 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Sims (Source: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department)
Sims (Source: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department)

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - A man is now facing murder charges after his girlfriend's baby died from multiple body injuries and a traumatic brain injury.

Christopher Sims was initially facing felony child abuse charges after the baby suffered the serious injuries while in his care. Police say the baby died Thursday.

Family members and friends showed up to court Friday afternoon to support Sims.

"The allegations that are going around about him are false," said his aunt, Kina Page. "Yes he had the little boy with him at the park with his own son, treating him as if he were his own son. There's more to this story than you may know. There's more to this story that's been said on the news. He's made out to look like the villain and he's not."

Officers said they were called to Carolinas Medical Center around 7 p.m. Wednesday regarding a two-year-old boy in critical condition who was unable to breathe on his own.

The child's mother and her boyfriend, Sims, were interviewed by detectives. Police say the injuries happened when the baby was left alone with Sims at a home on Griers Grove Road.

Sims was arrested and first charged with felony child abuse inflicting serious injury. Since then, a murder warrant has been obtained for Sims in the death of the baby.

Sims' relatives insist he didn't do it.

They say he's a "good man" who attended college and plays semi-pro football.

His relatives were visibly upset when Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Deputies brought Sims into the court room in a wheelchair.

"When he left his home with the police officers he left not in handcuffs, he left of his own accord, walking with the police," Page said. "He entered the courtroom today in a wheelchair with no explanation as to what's wrong with him or what happened to him."

Page added, "It's not fair and we demand answers as to what happened to him – while he's in police custody. He was walking fine - able bodied man, play football, basketball, no reason to be in a wheel chair whatsoever."

WBTV asked the Sheriff's Office why Sims was in the wheelchair.

A spokesperson from the time Sims arrived at the jail, he was walking around. She said Sims even walked over to the courthouse.

The spokesperson told her that deputies said when Sims arrived at court he told them he felt weak and they gave him the wheel chair.

During his court appearance Friday afternoon for felony intentional child abuse, the judge kept Sims' bond at $400,000. He is expected back in court at a later date for the murder charge.

He remains at the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Department.

Police say the investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call homicide detectives at 704-432-TIPS or Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.

Copyright 2017 WBTV. All rights reserved.