Holiday Safe Driving Tips
Updated: Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:56 AM EST
The holiday season is the most common time for people and their families to be on the road! Drivers are traveling to see relatives and friends to celebrate holidays. It’s an exciting time of year – but it can also be dangerous. Roads and highways are busier than ever, so it’s important that you’re prepped and ready for safe travels in your N Charlotte Toyota!
Successful road trips require planning and preparation. However, if you’re not sure how to get ready for a road trip – Toyota of N Charlotte can help! Before you get on the road, remember to:
- Catch up on car maintenance. Have your oil changed, tires rotated, brakes serviced, and car battery tested at our Toyota Service Center near Charlotte. Don’t forget to check fluid levels and replace old windshield wiper blades!
- Pack your car correctly. Load your luggage and belongings correctly to prevent any frustration or rollovers. Pack heavy items on the bottom and do not stack too high. Check the owner’s manual for maximum payload capacities.
- Safely strap in the kids. Properly install every child car seat needed for your passengers. Buckle them in safely, and do not allow them to get out of their car seat while the car is moving.
Now that your car is ready for the road – it’s time to make sure YOU are! As a driver, it’s important that you brush up on safe driving practices and techniques before hitting the road. During the holidays, the roads are more crowded and reckless drivers rear their heads. While traveling throughout the holiday season, keep safe driving tips in mind, like:
- Leave space. Allow yourself to have more reaction time by leaving a safe following distance between your N Charlotte Toyota and the cars in front of you.
- Use cruise control. Increase your fuel economy and decrease your chances of speeding by using cruise control on the open highway. Remember to turn this device off in rain or heavy traffic.
- Avoid distractions. Keep distractions, like your phone, out of sight and out of reach so you are not tempted to check them while driving.
Most important to remember during the holidays: avoid drunk driving! Do NOT get behind the wheel if you have been drinking. If you must get home, call a cab or a friend to get you there safely! You should also avoid drunk driving on the road. Learn how to spot a drunk driver by paying attention to tell-tale signs like:
- Not maintaining a lane
- Driving at night with no headlights
- Sudden stops
- Quick acceleration
- Running red lights and stop signs
If you do spot a drunk driver, it’s best to stay back and call the police. Do NOT try to get the driver’s attention. Instead, call the authorities and describe the car and the driver to the best of your ability.
During the holiday season, remember to stay SAFE! For more tips on safe driving, give Toyota of N Charlotte a call at (888) 883 -3797!