Graphic video shows deadly encounter between Charlotte police, Keith Scott

Published: Sep. 23, 2016 at 5:53 PM EDT|Updated: Sep. 24, 2016 at 2:46 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CHARLOTTE, NC (AP/WBTV) - Video of a deadly encounter between Charlotte police and Keith Lamont Scott shows his wife repeatedly telling officers he is not armed and pleading with them not to shoot as they shout commands to drop a gun.

The video was recorded by Scott's wife, Rakeiya Scott. The 2 ½-minute video does not show the shooting, though gunshots can be heard.

The video was provided to WBTV and other media outlets by the family's lawyer Friday afternoon. WBTV cannot authenticate at this time that the video and audio hasn't been edited or altered before it was provided to the station.

Rakeiya Scott tells officers at the scene that he has a traumatic brain injury. At one point, she tells her husband to get out of the car so that police don't break the windows. As the encounter escalates, she tells them repeatedly: "You better not shoot him."

After the gunshots are heard, 43-year-old Keith Scott can be seen lying on the ground while his wife says "he better live." She continues recording and asks if an ambulance is called as officers stand over Scott. It is not clear if they are checking Keith Scott, who appears to be laying on his chest, for weapons or attempting to render aid.

MOBILE USERS: Click here to see video from Keith Scott's wife

"Today's decision to release cellphone video of the moments before Keith Lamont Scott was shot and killed was made by the Scott family in the name of truth and transparency," a statement from the family sent Friday evening read.

"The family is still hopeful that the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department and city of Charlotte will release all available video of the incident to the public so that people can draw their own conclusions about Keith's death," the statement continued. "We encourage everyone to reserve judgment until all the facts are known. This is simply one step in our quest to find the truth for this family."

"We thank those in the community who have supported the Scott family during this difficult time, and we again ask for peace in Charlotte as we continue to learn more about the tragic events that unfolded September 20," the family statement ended.

RELATED: New, second video emerges, showing different angle on officers around body of Scott

The video was posted after a third night of protests over the shooting gave way to quiet streets as a curfew enacted by the city's mayor ended early Friday.

The largely peaceful Thursday night demonstrations in the city's business district, watched over by rifle-toting members of the National Guard, called on police to release video that could resolve wildly different accounts of the shooting of a black man earlier this week. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney said Friday that there is footage from at least one police body camera and one dashboard camera.

RELATED: CMPD chief: Video evidence doesn't get us to probable cause

The family of Keith Lamont Scott was shown the footage Thursday of his fatal shooting and demanded that police release it to the public. The video recorded by Scott's wife had not been previously released.

RELATED: Family sees deadly shooting video, calls for CMPD to make them public

Demonstrators chanted "release the tape" and "we want the tape" Thursday while briefly blocking an intersection near Bank of America headquarters and later climbing the steps to the door of the city government center. Later, several dozen demonstrators walked onto an interstate highway through the city, but they were pushed back by police in riot gear.

Charlotte is the latest U.S. city to be shaken by protests and recriminations over the death of a black man at the hands of police, a list that includes Baltimore, Milwaukee, Chicago, New York and Ferguson, Missouri. In Tulsa, Oklahoma, on Thursday, prosecutors charged a white officer with manslaughter for killing an unarmed black man on a city street last week.

RELATED: Tulsa, Oklahoma, police officer charged in man's death

Thursday's protests in Charlotte lacked the violence and property damage of previous nights, and the curfew encouraged a stopping point. Local officers' ranks were augmented by Guard members carrying rifles and guarding office buildings against the threat of property damage.

Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts signed documents Thursday night to be in effect from midnight until 6 a.m. each day that the state of emergency declared by the governor continues.

RELATED: Curfew issued as protesters take to streets of uptown Charlotte for third night

After the curfew took effect, police allowed the crowd of demonstrators to thin without forcing them off the street.

So far, police have resisted releasing the footage of Keith Scott's death. Putney said Friday that releasing it could inflame the situation and damage trust in the community. He has said previously that the video will be made public when he believes there is a "compelling reason" to do so.

"It's a personal struggle, but I have to do what I think is best for my community," Putney said.

Roberts said during that same news conference that "I do believe the video should be released. The question is on the timing."

Earlier in the week, the Charlotte protests turned violent. On Wednesday, demonstrators attacked reporters and others, set fires and smashed windows of hotels, office buildings and restaurants in the city's bustling business district.

Forty-four people were arrested after Wednesday's protests, and one protester who was shot died at the hospital Thursday; city officials said police did not shoot 26-year-old Justin Carr. Putney said Friday that video led investigators to a suspect who was arrested, but he provided few other details.

RELATED: 44 arrests made in connection with second night of violent protests

Police have said Keith Scott was shot to death Tuesday by a black officer after he disregarded repeated warnings to drop his gun. Neighbors, though, have said he was holding only a book. The police chief said a gun was found next to the dead man, and there was no book.

Putney said he has seen the video and it does not contain "absolute, definitive evidence that would confirm that a person was pointing a gun." But he added: "When taken in the totality of all the other evidence, it supports what we said."

Justin Bamberg, an attorney for Scott's family, watched the video with the slain man's relatives. He said that in the video, Keith Scott gets out of his vehicle calmly.

"While police did give him several commands, he did not aggressively approach them or raise his hands at members of law enforcement at any time. It is impossible to discern from the videos what, if anything, Mr. Scott is holding in his hands," Bamberg said in a statement.

Rakeyia Scott says her family is devastated. In a statement released Wednesday night, Scott said her husband was a "loving husband, father, brother and friend who will be deeply missed every day.

RELATED: Keith Lamont Scott's wife releases statement asking for peace after husband's shooting

Keith Scott was shot as he walked slowly backward with his hands by his side, Bamberg said.

The lawyer said at a news conference earlier in the day that Scott's wife saw him get shot, "and that's something she will never, ever forget." That is the first time anyone connected with the case has said the wife witnessed the shooting.

The police chief acknowledged that he has promised transparency in the investigation, but said, "I'm telling you right now, if you think I say we should display a victim's worst day for consumption, that is not the transparency I'm speaking of."

RELATED: CMPD chief: Video evidence doesn't get us to probable cause


Copyright 2016 WBTV. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved.