Man shot during Keith Scott protest in Charlotte dies at hospital

Published: Sep. 21, 2016 at 11:30 PM EDT|Updated: Sep. 23, 2016 at 5:11 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
(Sky3 | WBTV)
(Sky3 | WBTV)

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - A man shot during a protest over the death of Keith Lamont Scott in uptown Charlotte Wednesday night has died, sources close to the victim's family have confirmed.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney initially said that the man, identified as 26-year-old Justin Carr, was shot and killed during the protest. Officials later said he was still alive, but in critical condition at an area hospital.

According to a CMPD report, Carr was shot in the head around 8:30 p.m. on the 130 block of East Trade Street.

Just before 6 p.m. Thursday, sources close to Carr's family confirmed he had died.

City officials said Carr was shot by another civilian during the protest, and that shots were not fired by police.

There is no word if a suspected shooter has been named in Carr's death. No information has been released about what may have possibly led to the shooting.

According to Time Warner Cable News, seven law enforcement officers were injured during the protests as well. Two employees at the Hyatt House on the 400 block of East Trade Street were also injured.

Protesters moved downtown from Trade Street to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.

Hundreds were expected throughout the evening as Charlotte-Mecklenburg police prepared for another long night, but hopefully a more peaceful one.


"My plan is to have my people ready, we are," Chief Kerr Putney said Wednesday morning. "My plan is to be staffed appropriately, we will be. Hopefully we will have peaceful protests and do things the Charlotte way."

Community and faith leaders also asked for peace during a Wednesday news conference.

Scott's wife, Rakeiya Scott, also released a statement asking for protesters to remain calm.

Copyright 2016 WBTV. All rights reserved.