Advertisement

Confederate monument vandalized with names of Charleston church shooting victims

Published: Aug. 4, 2015 at 3:01 PM EDT|Updated: Sep. 3, 2015 at 3:01 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
The Confederate monument in Charlotte was vandalized for the second time. (Brody O'Connell |...
The Confederate monument in Charlotte was vandalized for the second time. (Brody O'Connell | WBTV)

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - A Confederate monument in Charlotte has been vandalized for the second time in three weeks.

The Confederate monument on North Kings Drive, between the Grady Cole Center and Memorial Stadium, was spray painted with vandalism on both sides.

The vandalism on one side of the monument now reads "The cause for which they fought - the cause of slavery - was wrong." The other side has the names of the nine people killed in the June 2015 shooting at the Emanuel AME Church, in Charleston.

This is the second time the Confederate monument has been vandalized. Last month, someone covered the words on the monument with cement.

Many people have taken issue with some of the words engraved on the monument, which read, "Accepting the arbitrament of war, they preserved the Anglo-Saxon civilization of the South and became Master Builders in a Reunited County."

Charne Paul attends Central Piedmont Community College. She said she is not happy with the vandals who targeted the monument, though Paul said she thinks the monument is offensive.

"Yes it is very offensive," Paul said. "But if you have something to say, say it. There are a whole bunch of council meetings. I watch the news all the time. There are meetings and rallies that people are having on Instagram. There are rallies people are having in public areas. Say something then. Don't wait till later and write and offend more people and hurt more people."

The monument was built in 1929 after a reunion of Confederate veterans. It was at the center of a Mecklenburg County Commissioners debate in early July. Some wanted the monument removed.

Dr. Dan Morrill of the Historic Landmarks Commission told commissioners" the monument is a product of its time" and a "surviving artifact of a major public event."

Morrill said because the monument is on county property, county leaders have to decide what to do, then apply to the Historic Landmarks Commission.

In the end, commissioners did not make any decisions. Instead, they asked County Manager Dena Diorio to review the discussion and make a determination about whether the issue needs to come before the board again.

The North Carolina legislature now has the ultimate say over public "objects of remembrance," including Confederate memorials, under a new law signed by the governor.

PREVIOUS ARTICLES: 

Copyright 2015 WBTV. All rights reserved.