Source: Roof talked 'freely' on video while in police custody

Charleston alleged shooter remains in custody after hearing
Published: Jun. 19, 2015 at 4:20 PM EDT|Updated: Jul. 19, 2015 at 4:20 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Dylann Roof transferred from the Shelby Police Department to the county jail for an extradition...
Dylann Roof transferred from the Shelby Police Department to the county jail for an extradition hearing (Steve Ohnesorge | WBTV)
Dylann Roof (Source: Charleston County Sheriff's Office)
Dylann Roof (Source: Charleston County Sheriff's Office)

SHELBY, NC (WBTV) - New information is giving insight to what reportedly transpired inside the Shelby Police Department after the man accused of shooting and killing nine people inside a Charleston church was arrested in North Carolina.

Twenty-one-year-old Dylann Roof was arrested Thursday morning during a traffic stop in Shelby.

Roof is accused of opening fire in the Emanuel AME Church, in Charleston, Wednesday night.

According to police, nine people were killed after shots were fired during a prayer meeting inside Emanuel AME Church on Calhoun Street around 9:05 p.m. Police Chief Greg Mullen said officers arrived to find eight people dead inside the church. A ninth victim died later at a nearby hospital.

Mullen said Roof sat through an hour-long bible study before he began shooting church members. He then fled the scene.

According to Shelby Police, officials got a call just after 10:30 a.m. Thursday from Kings Mountain Police saying a business believed they had seen Roof's car. Shelby Police spotted him around ten minutes later driving west along East Dixon Boulevard, in Shelby.

Officers say Roof was the only one in the car and gave police his identification.

Shelby Police chief Jeff Ledford told WBTV Friday morning that Shelby police officials did not interview Roof and left that for Charleston officials and the FBI.

According to a WBTV source, Dylan Roof was being held at the Shelby police department, he was videotaped the entire time.

Roof spoke freely about what happened at the church while he was being held, according to the source.

Roof reportedly told investigators he had been planning the attack on the church for a period of time. Roof said he had researched the church and targeted it because it turned out to be a "historic African-American" church, the source told WBTV.

According to WBTV's source, Roof told investigators he had a Glock handgun hidden behind a pouch he was wearing around his waist. He was wearing the pouch when he entered the church and it can be seen in surveillance photos released by police.

Roof reportedly said he initially thought that someone would see the gun. He reportedly told police he had seven magazine clips with him at the time.

When Roof entered the church, where a bible study was being held, he told investigators he filled out some type of form.

According to the source, Roof sat with the group and told investigators he actually thought about not shooting anyone, but then determined that no one else was going to do it, so he decided to do it himself.

Roof told investigators he thought he'd only shot a few people and when told he actually had killed nine people, he appeared to be somewhat remorseful, according to the source.

During the recorded conversation, Roof reportedly told investigators he actually thought he would be caught in Charleston before he could get away. He said that he was going to Nashville, TN when he was captured.

When asked why he was going to Nashville, he reportedly told investigators "I've never been there before."

Attorneys say Roof waived extradition Thursday afternoon in a Cleveland County courtroom. He was later flown back to Charleston and booked in the Charleston County jail Thursday evening.

Roof is scheduled to be in court in Charleston County Friday afternoon.

Copyright 2015 WBTV. All rights reserved.