Explosions reportedly heard before fire breaks out in Burke Co.
MORGANTON, NC (WBTV) - A large fire broke out at a service station in Burke County after investigators say multiple explosions were heard.
Firefighters were called to a large fire at Jim's Service Center along Highway 70 in Morganton before 2:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Officials say heavy fire was seen in the auto repair facility of the shop. According to early indications, two explosions were heard at the shop before the fire broke out.
A photo provided to WBTV by Bryan with The Unifour shows Jim's fully engulfed in flames.
Investigators said that the fire likely started after a minor fuel spill. They say the fumes were ignited by a wood stove.
Several people were inside when the fire started and all escaped safely.
Heavy equipment was brought in late Wednesday afternoon to tear down some of the walls to make it safe for investigators to go inside.
Jim's Service Center has been a part of Morganton for almost 40 years. It has been at the current location for the past decade.
No word yet if the family that owns the site will rebuild.
Copyright 2015 WBTV. All rights reserved.