LAKE WYLIE, SC (WBTV) - Lake Wylie resident Leslie Norris is recovering after being bitten by a copperhead snake.
"It was probably the worst pain I've ever felt in my life," said Norris.
Norris described the moment she was bitten by the copperhead while at a marina on Lake Wylie.
She says she was walking her daughter from their boat dock to the car when the venomous snake struck.
You can still see the fang marks on her foot.
"It was immediate pain. It was like someone poured gasoline on it and set it on fire," she said.
Norris immediately went to the hospital where she received anti-venom, but she admits she feared for the worst.
"There was a time where I thought, wow this could be it," said Norris.
Norris did the right thing by immediately seeking medical attention, but there are a couple of myths that was put to bed by snake expert and herpetologist Chad Griffin.
"Don't cut it open or suck the venom out because now what you've done is taken the venom out of the body part and into your head," said Griffin.
Griffin went on to explain ways to tell venomous snakes apart from others, one of the signs being an hour glass pattern on the snake.
"There's a couple of identifying marks. One being the pattern, always watch the pattern and not the color. For the vipers, they have two dots sitting on the top of their heads," said Griffin.
As for Norris, she hopes others can learn from her experience just in case they ever come across a venomous snake.
"I just think it's real important our community becomes aware of these snakes. They're here," she said.
Norris is expected to make a full recovery.