Two arrested after teen fights off intruders for second time in a month
KANNAPOLIS, NC (WBTV) - Police in Kannapolis say two people have been arrested after they are accused of assaulting a teenager inside his home for the second time in a month.
According to police, Kristopher Welch and Andrew Calamari are facing charges after 19-year-old Christopher Ludwick was attacked in his home early Sunday morning.
Police say Welch and Calamari broke into Ludwick's home and assaulted him.
"He was asleep they broke in the back door," said Ludwick's father, Terry.
It was the second time Christopher Ludwick woke up fighting for his life but this time he had protection.
"I got hit in the face a couple of times, then I realized what was happening," he told WBTV. "I'm still in shock. I can't believe it would happen to me."
After the first home invasion in early February, Ludwick's father gave him the family's .22 revolver in case his home was broken into again.
"I shot at them and they ran out," said Ludwick.
But Ludwick says one of the men wrestled the gun from him and slammed it into the back of his neck and head.
His father says he saw "blood, big time" when his son came running to his home and shouting for help.
The teen has four staples in his scalp, cuts and bruises but he's alive.
"I'm proud of what he did," said his father. "I hate that he had to shoot somebody to do it but if that's what it takes to get the message across."
Police say one of the men showed up at Carolinas Medical Center-Northeast with a gunshot wound to the leg. The second was later found by Concord Police officers.
Officers believe Welch and Calamari were the same pair that broke into this home previously.
Copyright 2014 WBTV. All rights reserved.