Firefighters rule north Charlotte blaze accidental

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Firefighters in North Charlotte say a blaze that sent a family of four running out of their home was accidental.

They say the fire started around 3 a.m. Monday on Jackson Drive. Fire officials say everyone made it out safely.

The fire was caused by poor chimney maintenance and the homeowner using 'green' firewood, according to the Charlotte Fire Department.

There was noticeable damage to the incident of the house, especially the chimney. Damaged furniture and other debris was littered across the front yard.

The Red Cross says it will provide the family and its pets a place to live for the next few days.

Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.