CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - A worker is recovering Wednesday morning after being burned by a powerful acid at Emerald Performance Materials in West Charlotte.
The accident released a heavy vapor cloud at the business which has since been contained.
He's doing just fine but you might call him lucky considering he was burned by one of the most powerful acids known to man.
Firefighters tell us a malfunctioning pipe leaked Triflic acid here at the plant just off Sam Wilson road. This substance is 1-thousand times stronger than sulfuric acid so you can see why it's incredible no one was seriously injured.
The call came in about 9 o'clock Tuesday night and it took hazmat crews and firefighters about an hour to contain the spill and clean it up.
This company makes chemicals used in textile finishing, and personal hygiene products. Firefighters tell us the leak didn't pose any threat to the environment or the surrounding area. The man injured in the accident was treated here and not taken to the hospital.