Advertisement

Tossed cigarette butt sparks condo fire near South Park

Published: Mar. 4, 2011 at 8:46 AM EST|Updated: Apr. 4, 2011 at 7:46 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

By Ron Lee - bio l email

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - An improperly discarded cigarette is believed to have caused a two-alarm fire which damaged three condominium units in Charlotte's SouthPark area late Thursday night.

The fire occurred just before midnight at the Trianan condominium complex which is located along the 3600 block of Colony Road.

About 45 firefighters responded to the scene, and it took them about an hour and half to control the fire.

The fire appears to have started in a condo on the second floor, and then spread to the roof and attic.

Firefighters said neighbors went door-to-door trying to get people out of the condo units before the fire spread.

Residents were able to make it out safely and no firefighters were injured while battling the fire. Firefighters were able to rescue several pets still trapped inside.

The condo where the fire started was heavily damaged and two other units received smoke and water damage.

Investigators said someone tossed a cigarette into an open flower pot which started the fire.  The damage is expected to be about $25,000.

The American Red Cross is providing assistance to two families who were displaced as a result of the fire.

Copyright 2011 WBTV. All rights reserved.