STATESVILLE, NC (WBTV) - Firefighters were called to a haz-mat situation in Statesville before noon today.
Nancy Davis, a spokeswoman for the City of Statesville, said a 2,000 pound cylinder containing chlorine spilled around 11:30 a.m. inside the Bartlett Milling facility which is located on South Center Street.
Most of the chlorine remained in the container Davis said.
While fire officials were assessing the situation inside the plant, residents and businesses located within a one quarter mile radius of the plant were evacuated.
A phone message also went out to nearby businesses and homes urging people to remain indoors and to turn off their air conditioning units.
By 12:30 p.m., the situation was under control. No one was injured during the incident officials said.