Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools will release the report and recommendations of the Title IX Task Force on Tuesday, according to a spokesman for Superintendent Earnest Winston. The report is being released the same day that two top NC Senators sent a new letter to Winston demanding he provide answers and documents surrounding the district's handling of reported sexual violence.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools board will meet in closed session on Tuesday to discuss the performance of Superintendent Earnest Winston. Tuesday's special meeting comes as Winston is under fire from board leadership and lawmakers in Raleigh over his handling of reported sexual violence at CMS schools.
CMS Superintendent Earnest Winston is under fire and facing new questions from state lawmakers as well as the chairwoman of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School Board, according to new documents obtained by WBTV. The questions related to Winston's claims and recently-announced policy changes regarding how the district handles reported rapes and sexual assaults.
An attorney for current and former students at Hawthorne Academy and Myers Park high schools has asked the U.S. Department of Education to open a new investigation into Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools over the district's handling of reported sexual violence. The call for a new investigation comes amidst an ongoing WBTV investigation into the school district.
A student at Hawthorne Academy High School said she was forced to sign a nondisclosure agreement after reporting being sexually assaulted by a classmate in 2019. Her story comes one week after WBTV first revealed a Hawthorne Academy student who was suspended after reporting a sexual assault. CMS leaders refuse to answer questions.
Myers Park High School Principal Mark Bosco stepped down as the school’s top administrator Wednesday. He has been reassigned to an administrative role within CMS. The move comes after Bosco was suspended in early August as the district investigated Bosco's handling of reported rapes and sexual assaults at the school.
A task force formed by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools to evaluate how the district handles reports of sexual violence and other discrimination is operating in secret, with district leaders refusing to share details of who is on the task force or what work the group is doing.
Mecklenburg County District Attorney Spencer Merriweather said he will not order an outside review of reported rapes and sexual assaults at Myers Park High School by the N.C. State Bureau of Investigation, despite a half-dozen women saying police did not thoroughly investigate their cases.
WBTV has filed a lawsuit against Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, members of the school board, Superintendent Earnest Winston and General Counsel Andre Mayes seeking records related to the district’s handling of reports of rape and sexual assault at Myers Park High School.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department is refusing to answer questions over its handling of reported rapes and sexual assaults at Myers Park High School. A former CMPD school resource officer testified that a department lawyer told him a woman couldn't be raped if she'd previously had sex with the person. But the lawyer says she never gave that advice.
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg school board got a presentation late Tuesday night on the district’s policies surrounding a federal law that regulates how schools handle reports of sexual violence and harassment. But the presentation, and questions from board members, focused on educating students how to report.
Members of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education have stayed silent in the wake of a WBTV investigation that found the district failed to record reported rapes and sexual assaults at schools across the district.