2 charged in 20-year-old woman’s 2022 murder in north Charlotte

Police said 20-year-old Ceyonna Morris died at Atrium CMC Main after being shot in a residential area on Valeview Lane.
The two were arrested at the end of September.
Published: Oct. 2, 2023 at 12:47 PM EDT|Updated: Oct. 3, 2023 at 9:25 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) – Police have arrested two suspects charged in connection with a woman’s murder in north Charlotte shortly before Christmas last year.

Police said 20-year-old Ceyonna Morris died at Atrium CMC Main after being shot in a residential area on Valeview Lane, near the Statesville Road and Cindy Lane intersection, on Dec. 17, 2022.

Ceyonna Morris was shot and killed in north Charlotte this past December.

Related: Father searching for answers six months after daughter’s murder in north Charlotte

On Sept. 29, Michael Fulwiley, 20, was located and arrested in Columbia, S.C., according to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department. He has been charged with murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

The next day, Sept. 30, Saniya Heard, 20, turned herself into authorities and was charged with conspiracy to commit murder and accessory after the fact of murder, according to the CMPD.

Following the arrests, father Cecil Morris said it’s heartbreaking to learn that his daughter’s accused killers are so young, just like she was.

“It’s painful in a sense only because just now as I was reading the names and the ages of the two people responsible they were just kids themselves. So it’s really still a confusing state for me right now trying to figure out how or why someone that young would think that was a good idea,” Morris said.

Morris added there are details in the case he can’t share, but feels the arrests are a big achievement

“What I can share that they didn’t say that I couldn’t is that Michael Fulwiley, which was the shooter, has confessed completely to the entire crime. So they have a full confession and a ton of evidence. So for them, they feel like it was a success and I feel like the same way,” Morris said.

Morris said law enforcement told him a trial could happen in about two years from now, and that’s when a motive would be revealed

“They said that’s something they will allow to come out during the trial,” he said.

Download the free WBTV News app for updates sent right to your phone.