Popular Salisbury restaurant badly damaged in fire
Salisbury Fire said the call came in just before 2 a.m.
SALISBURY, N.C. (WBTV) – A popular Salisbury restaurant is closed after it was heavily damaged in a fire overnight.
Firefighters responded to Christo’s Family Restaurant on East Innes Street at the intersection of Shaver Street. It has been open in the location for 28 years.
Salisbury Fire said the call came in just before 2 a.m. Wednesday and is now under control.
“This was really unexpected in the middle of the night when we got a call that there was motion inside the restaurant and they called back and said there was a fire inside the restaurant. By the time I got here there were 10 firetrucks,” said owner Sophia Talarantas.
Upon the arrival of firefighters, there were flames and smoke showing from the restaurant. Emergency personnel quickly extinguished the fire, according to officials, who added that there is serious damage to the inside of the building.
“So the fire was an accidental grease fire that started in the kitchen,” said Salisbury Fire Department Division Chief Shawn McBride. “Right behind the hood system is where the fire started, so the fire was going up through all the vents, so it started burning in the attic first, burning the ceiling in the attic.”
No one was hurt. Once firefighters left, workers and customers filled the parking lot, just wanting to see for themselves.
“It’s a landmark for our city. We love chicken wings, like wow, I had to come see it for myself just to see if it was true,” said Thomas Glenn, who just had dinner at Christo’s with his family Tuesday night.
“Very sad,” said employee Shirley Ramsey. “It’s like a loss, grieving.”
“It’s surprising because this is a place that everybody loves to go eat at,” said Robin Hyde. “The food is good, they’re friendly, they’re wonderful.”
Talarantas is hopeful that the restaurant can be rebuilt but has no idea yet how long that may take.
“We thank all of our customers and we will be back, we will be back,” Talarantas said.
WBTV’s David Whisenant captured photos of the inside:
Copyright 2023 WBTV. All rights reserved.