11 hospitalized, dozens exposed after carbon monoxide leak in Dilworth
The people taken to the hospital are expected to be okay.
DILWORTH, N.C. (WBTV) - The Charlotte Fire Department controlled a carbon monoxide leak that exposed 27 people in south Charlotte after four hours.
Firefighters began evaluating the carbon monoxide levels on East Boulevard in Dilworth at a structure just before 5 p.m. on Thursday.
They identified and secured the source of the carbon monoxide just before 9 p.m.
In total, 27 people were evaluated for exposure and 11 were transported to the hospital. Thirty firefighters controlled the incident.
“Firefighters were able to isolate the leak to one business and the cause was due to construction work inside the business with gas powered equipment,” Captain Jackie Gilmore told WBTV.
Emily Burr, who lives in a condo at 1315 East, says she called 911 as soon as she realized what was happening inside of her condo on Thursday.
“I was actually taking a nap because I have Covid and I heard a beeping and that’s what woke me up,” Burr said. “It was beeping and it was saying carbon monoxide detected.”
Fire crews evacuated her building.
“They came up with me and we were walking down my hallway and they were doing readings,” she said. “They were getting readings all the way down my hallway of high carbon monoxide.”
Burr says her condo did not have a detector when she moved in, but she’s grateful her electrician told her to get one.
“He’s like I know you’re electric, but you should have one just to be safe,” she said. “So I actually just got one over the summer.”
Captain Gilmore says no matter where you live, you should have a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector.
“It could have been a lot worse,” he said. “Luckily those detectors did their job and they were able to get out of the structure and call 911.”
Copyright 2022 WBTV. All rights reserved.