“Total loss”: Fire destroys long-standing furniture store in Stanly County
Fire officials battled the fire at Morgan Chair in Stanfield for hours.
STANFIELD, N.C. (WBTV) - Firefighters from several counties fought a large commercial structure fire in Stanly County on Friday afternoon, Midland Fire and Rescue confirmed.
Fire officials on scene said the fire started at Morgan Chair on Sunset Lake Road just before 4 p.m. Friday.
The West Stanly Fire Department said they called in additional help from Union and Cabarrus Counties, but they said it was ultimately a “total loss” for the furniture factory.
Tyler Huntley, the Citizen Chief for West Stanly Fire, said it was a big fire that was already difficult to control, and having little sources of water and an understaffed team didn’t help.
“We’re just underfunded. We just don’t have the funding to support a large fire like this,” he explained.
Jesse Morgan, the owner of Morgan Chair, was the only one inside the factory.
“I saw lights flicker and I went to the back and investigated and at that point, it was smoke, overwhelming, and knew I had a problem,” he remembered.
He was grateful that his 30 employees were not inside, as the business closes early on Friday’s.
“It’s tough to see this...but it’s a building. What I like to see is a community here. I had multiple friends hugging on me loving on me...that’s carried me through.”
In a Facebook post, the West Stanly Fire Department said that one firefighter sustained minor injuries while fighting the blaze, but was treated and released from the scene.
Copyright 2022 WBTV. All rights reserved.