Suspect arrested, charged two months after murder at Lake Wylie, family ‘relieved’

A 17-year-old has been arrested and charged with the shooting death of a man in June.
Two months after a 20-year-old was found dead near a fishing pier at Lake Wylie, authorities have arrested a suspect in the case.
Published: Aug. 6, 2022 at 4:08 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LAKE WYLIE, S.C. (WBTV) - Two months after a 20-year-old was found dead near a fishing pier at Lake Wylie, authorities have arrested a suspect in the case.

The York County Sheriff’s Office arrested 17-year-old Zi’Quavious Jkwon La’Travis Caldwell in connection with the death of Terron Hubert in early June.

Hubert’s body was found early in the morning on June 6 on the lake shore at Quigley Park. He had been shot several times.

“I just remained hopeful that they would solve this. They would solve this,” says Hubert’s mom, Quadrena Adams.

Two months to the day of TJ Hubert’s death, his family heard the words they’ve been waiting for: a suspect is in custody. The last two months brought forth a whirlwind of emotions.

”It feels good to know we have some type of closure. But just to know we are at this step, I will celebrate every small victory,” she says. ”Exhausting. Frustrating. Aggravating. Hard. Sad.”

What was hardest for her was the way he died. Adams says TJ was a good kid that kept to himself and didn’t get caught up in trouble.

”That was the one thing we didn’t have to worry about. And to get a call to come to the Moss Justice Center and to find out your baby had been gunned down I would have never imagined. Never imagined,” she explains.

In those hours, days and weeks though, something in Quadrena Adams would not let her give up.

”Every week I would say they’re getting closer. And they would look at me like ‘you’re crazy. Whatever. When?’ It was always when. When when that’s what they’d always say and I’d say I don’t know y’all but they’re getting closer. I feel it. I feel it,” she says.

The sheriff’s office took Caldwell into custody on Saturday at an apartment off of Paces River Avenue in Rock Hill.

“No murder gets old, and every victim matters, that’s why our detectives worked relentlessly for countless hours to develop a suspect in this case,” Sheriff Kevin Tolson said. “Thankfully with this development we hope the grieving family can find some rest.”

She got the call early Saturday that the suspect the 17-year-old had been arrested. Adams spoke at the bond hearing for Caldwell —bringing up painful memories about her baby laying on the sidewalk dying all alone that night.

”It tears me up. It literally tears me up. I mean it’s no match to being sucker punched honestly,” she says.

She knows though that this small victory was partially won because of her family’s perseverance to get answers and not let this case turn cold.

”I know he is smiling down. He’s with us every moment but I know he’s saying that’s my momma. She ain’t gonna quit. She’s not gonna stop,” says Adams.

Caldwell is being charged as an adult with murder, armed robbery with a deadly weapon, and possession of a weapon during a violent crime.

So far, the investigation has revealed that the shooting was the result of an argument between Caldwell and Hubert. After the shooting, Caldwell took money and personal items from Hubert.

Caldwell is being held at the York County Detention Center without bond.

The case remains under investigation.

Related: Lake Wylie murder still unsolved almost two months later

Copyright 2022 WBTV. All rights reserved.