Police: Man recently released from prison on decade-old rape charges arrested in new rape

WBTV Investigates: Suspect tried breaking into neighbor’s house first; neighbor questions CMPD response
The man was first arrested in 2010 and had just gotten out of prison recently.
Published: May. 27, 2022 at 1:01 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) - Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have charged a man in relation to a burglary, kidnapping and rape that took place at a north Charlotte apartment.

Officers received a call initially around 4 a.m. Thursday that someone was trying to enter an apartment off Daybreak Drive but was unable to get in.

Hours later, they received a call from another apartment on the same road with a woman saying a man came in through a window and sexually assaulted her.

They did not know each other, police say.

Officers arrested 28-year-old Robert McFadden.

McFadden is charged with two counts of first-degree forcible rape, two counts of first-degree sex offense, one count of first-degree burglary, one count of larceny after breaking and entering, four counts of first-degree kidnapping, four counts of assault on a female, three counts of communicating threats and one count of interfering with emergency communication.

But the first woman who called 911, Christalline Gainey-Lymon, told WBTV she thinks the crime could have been thrwarted had police taken her call more seriously.

Gainey-Lymon was the first to call CMPD after she said she woke up to the sound of her window screen ripping. She went over to the window, pulled back the curtain and saw a man’s arm.

“I was terrified so I said ‘get away from my window!’ So he took off, I slammed the window and called the police.”

Gainey-Lymon said it took an officer at least 20 minutes to respond to her apartment and, when the officer arrived, he did little to investigate.

“He observed the portion of the screen being ripped away from the frame and I said ‘will you please take finger prints?’ and Officer Stevens told me we don’t take fingerprints on screens.”

Gainey-Lymon said her apartment manager told her surveillance video from the complex showed McFadden moving from her window, hiding behind a building while the police responded to her call, and then going to the second woman’s apartment.

She wishes police had done anything to canvass the area for the man she reported trying to break into her window. If the had, she said, she things they could have caught the would-be intruder.

“They didn’t try to ride through to look and see if anything else was going on, they didn’t try to find the suspect. They just left,” Gainey-Lymon said.

After WBTV spoke with Gainey-Lymon, we called a CMPD spokesman and asked whether police searched the area for a suspect after Gainey-Lymon’s call and whether anything was done that could have prevented the second break-in.

After our story aired at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, a CMPD spokesman provided additional information.

“Two officers responded to the 4 am call and evaluated the scene including the attempted point of entry. The officers circulated the area in attempt to locate possible suspects,” the spokesman said, without providing additional details.

The crime comes just one month after McFadden was released from prison on rape convictions stemming from 2010. Officers say the crimes 12 years ago happened on the same block.

[READ ALSO: Jury finds teen guilty of raping, assaulting elderly woman]

This is a developing story. Check back to for more information.

Copyright 2022 WBTV. All rights reserved.