COVID-19 vaccines for young children officially available in Mecklenburg County
Mecklenburg County Public Health has received authorization from NC DHHS to administer Pfizer BioNTech’s pediatric COVID-19 vaccine to children ages 5-11 years old.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) - Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine is officially available for young children ages 5-11 in Mecklenburg County.
Mecklenburg County Public Health received its first shipment of the kid-size vaccine doses on Tuesday.The county received 13,500 doses in the first shipment for children ages 5 to 11 years old.
This initial shipment will be distributed to vaccine providers throughout Mecklenburg County.
“This delivery marks an exciting milestone in our community’s fight against COVID-19,” Mecklenburg County health officials said.
Following FDA emergency use authorization and CDC approved recommendations, Mecklenburg County Public Health has received authorization from NC DHHS to administer Pfizer BioNTech’s pediatric COVID-19 vaccine to children ages 5-11 years old.
Community vaccination sites administering the pediatric COVID-19 will include:
- Nov. 3 - VaxClinic will offer COVID-19 vaccines for those ages 5+ at Covenant Presbyterian Church located at 1000 E Morehead St, Charlotte, NC 28204 from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Nov. 4:
- Mecklenburg County Public Health will begin offering vaccines for those ages 5+ at Southeast Health Department (249 Billingsley Road, Charlotte) and Northwest Health Department (2845 Beatties Ford Road, Charlotte) starting at 12 p.m. and Valerie C. Woodard Center (3205 Freedom Drive, Charlotte) starting at 1:30 p.m. Visit www.mecknc.gov/covid-19 for more information.
- StarMed will begin offering vaccines for those ages 5+ at all locations. Visit www.StarMed.care/Vaccine for more information.
- Novant Health will begin offering vaccines for those ages 5+ at East Mecklenburg Clinic (6070 East Independence Blvd). Visit www.GetVaccinated.org for more details.
- Atrium Health will offer vaccines for those age 5 to 11 by appointment only through pediatric and primary care offices. Visit www.AtriumHealth.org/Coronavirus or call your child’s provider for more information.
- Nov. 6 - Many special vaccination events will be held across the County this weekend for those ages 5+. Visit www.MeckNC.gov/COVID-19 and click “Get Your Vaccination” for more details.
Individuals can also contact their pediatrician, primary care provider or local pharmacy for vaccine availability. Written parental/guardian consent is required for children in this age group to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
Children and adults should continue to wear a mask in public spaces and around people they don’t live with. More information about the COVID-19 pediatric vaccine for children ages 5-11 years old is available here.
Copyright 2021 WBTV. All rights reserved.