Friends, family seek answers after US Marshal deputy fatally shot man on 32nd birthday in east Charlotte

U.S. Marshal deputy fatally shoots man at Charlotte gas station

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) - Frankie Jennings turned 32 years old Tuesday.

He had family and friends ready to celebrate his birthday.

Instead, later that evening, they gathered in east Charlotte to mourn his death.

Jennings was shot and killed Tuesday afternoon by a deputy U.S. Marshall.

CMPD investigating man shot, killed by US Marshal

The shooting happened at a gas station near Parkwood Avenue and The Plaza. The intersection was shut down for hours, as a crime scene.

Tuesday evening, that same spot was filled with people.

“I’m still a little struck by what’s going on,” said Latannya Jennings, Frankie Jennings’ sister.

Jennings’ family and friends shared hugs on his birthday, just hours after officials Jennings was killed.

White-colored balloons and candles filled the parking lot of the Den’s Mart gas station in east Charlotte.

CMPD, US Marshals swarm to scene near gas station in east Charlotte

Officers with the United States Marshals Service – Carolinas Regional Fugitive Task Force (CRFTF) were reportedly trying to arrest a man with several outstanding warrants.

During the warrant service, Deputy Marshals made contact with the man.

Officials say one of the deputies perceived a lethal threat and fired a service weapon, striking the man.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said a gun was also recovered.

“He was a father, he was a son, he was a brother, he was an uncle,” said Latannya Jennings. “So, y’all took an innocent life, for what?”

On Tuesday night, community activists called on authorities to release more information related to the shooting.

“All around the peripheral, there are surveillance cameras,” said Corinne Mack, President of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg branch of the NAACP. “We want them pulled because we want the truth to come out.”

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say it’s leading this investigation.

Police did not elaborate on what the warrants were or where the gun was located at the scene.

The name of the deputy marshal was also not released.

The NAACP said it will continue to push for answers.

No officers with the CRFTF were injured during this incident, and the police department specifically noted that CMPD officers were not involved in this incident.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call 704-432-TIPS and speak directly to a Homicide Unit detective. The public can also leave information anonymously by contacting Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600 or

Copyright 2021 WBTV. All rights reserved.