CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) - A local man was shocked to get a $1,300 bill after going to the ER for what he thought was just a bad bug bite.
In September of this year, Peter Snyder got what he thought was a giant mosquito bite.
Since Urgent care was closed, he went to the ER at Atrium Health Steele Creek.
“He gave me a prescription for penicillin, gave me a Benadryl, and then that was it,” Snyder said.
The bill from Atrium came in November.
Originally, Snyder was charged $2,400.
That was reduced by roughly $1,000.
“I was very pleased that I was able to be seen, but I wasn’t very happy with the bill I got,” Snyder said.
Snyder gave the hospital his insurance information before he even was allowed in the waiting room.
But since he hadn’t met his deductible for the year, he was on the hook for most of the cost. He just didn’t think it would be so much.
“I told him how outrageous the amount was, and they said it all depends upon the level of care,” Snyder said.
Atrium Health sent a letter saying Snyder was given what’s called ‘level three’ care because of the drugs he got during his visit. That letter says the “level 3” was appropriate.
We reached out to Atrium but didn’t get a response.
We also reached out to UnitedHealthcare who told WBTV in a statement, “Mr. Snyder’s emergency room bill was processed appropriately under his commercial plan, as he had not reached his out-of-pocket limit at the time.”
They said, “We will reach out to Atrium Health Steele Creek regarding this matter to see if we can help address his concerns with his bill.”
According to Snyder, “I will be able to pay this bill eventually. But I know there’s a lot of people out there who are really struggling and they have difficulty paying such an outrageous bill.”
As of January 1, 2021, it’s a federal requirement to give patients access to a price estimator tool and a public list of prices.
Make sure you know how much you’re paying before getting medical treatment.