CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) - Major League Soccer officially announced that Charlotte will be the home of the league’s 30th team Tuesday morning.
MLS Commissioner Don Garber joined Panthers owner David Tepper and Charlotte Mayor Vi Lyles for the special announcement at the Mint Museum in uptown Charlotte.
WBTV previously reported that any announcement of a new team would take place in the city the club is awarded to.
The announcement happened at 10 a.m. at the Mint Museum in Uptown Charlotte.
Previously, an MLS spokesperson said no timeline had been finalized on an announcement about which city/proposal will be granted a team.
“Any announcement of a future MLS expansion club will take place in the city of the new team. A timeline to announce Major League Soccer’s 30th club has not been finalized," MLS Executive Vice President of Communications Dan Courtemanche said earlier.
Charlotte City Council members have reached a general consensus to provide public funding to renovate Bank of America stadium to equip it for an MLS team. But sources tell WBTV it is not a done deal and there are still significant aspects that need to be finalized.
Additionally, council has not voted publicly on the financing yet and sources tell WBTV there is not a set date yet for when that will happen, even though MLS plans to announce Charlotte as the newest team on Tuesday.
On November 21, Mayor Vi Lyles sent a letter to Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber welcoming MLS to the Queen City. She said the city was working with Tepper sports and their “plans together include”... “Modifications to Bank of America Stadium to support MLS and provide a world-class fan experience” and “$110 million in hospitality funds set aside to help ensure a successful venture over the next many years.”