CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) - We are tracking the latest closings as winter weather moves across our area Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.
Whenever a new update is announced for local schools, governments, businesses and more, we will have that information for our audience on this page.
A Winter Weather Advisory was issued for the North Carolina Mountains for Tuesday, including Ashe, Watauga, and Avery counties.
Precipitation started moving in early Tuesday morning, moving from west to east. The mountains were the first to see rain, which is changing over to snow as the temperatures continue to fall. You could potentially see a few hours of snow falling in the higher elevations.
By the time all is said and done, you could pick up half an inch to three inches of snow, with higher amounts possible in higher elevations.
With temperatures expected to continue dropping overnight into Wednesday morning, a First Alert Day has been issued.
LOCAL CLOSINGS FOR WEDNESDAY:
- Ashe County Schools will be operating on a 2-hour delay
- Avery County Schools will be operating on a 3-hour delay
- Watauga County Schools will be operating on a 2-hour delay
LOCAL CLOSINGS ON TUESDAY:
- Watauga County schools will be closed for Tuesday, November 12
- Ashe County schools will be closed Tuesday, November 12
- Avery County Schools will be closed Tuesday, November 12
- Chester County schools are closed on Tuesday, November 12 due to a water main break
- Watauga, Ashe and Avery County Schools were initially placed on a delay.
Watauga County Schools says they decided to cancel class Tuesday due to “sleet, snow and worsening conditions.” It was an optional teacher workday.