Fire at restaurant in uptown Charlotte causes estimated $1.5 million in damages

Updated: Sep. 30, 2019 at 4:44 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) - A 3-alarm fire at a high-rise restaurant in uptown Charlotte Monday afternoon was deemed accidental, fire officials said Tuesday.

The blaze broke out at Rooster’s Wood-Fire Kitchen on the 100 block of N. College Street, near the Bank of America Center and Ritz-Carlton. Firefighters with the Charlotte Fire Department reported seeing heavy smoke when they got to the scene.

On social media, multiple people posted photos and videos showing multiple emergency vehicles and thick smoke in the area. Firefighters said the fire was on the second floor of the high-rise building.

As crews battled the fire, and media staged nearby, shots were fired. Police said the person shot was an innocent bystander. Investigators believe an altercation took place inside the Epicentre and someone began shooting, striking the man who was outside.

Several streets were closed around the area and crews were diverting traffic. Anyone in uptown should avoid the area if possible.

Fire officials say the fire started in the kitchen. The fire caused an estimated $1.5 million worth of damage.

Copyright 2019 WBTV. All rights reserved.