CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WBTV) - Police have arrested three people in connection to a series of armed robberies at businesses in Charlotte over the past month.
According to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, since May 13, 2019, a series of eight armed robberies have happened at different businesses in the Charlotte area.
Police say 21-year-old Kylvin Jones, 26-year-old Demondre Smith, and 17-year-old Gerrell Hart-Smith were charged for their involvement in this series of armed robberies.
The eight different armed robberies, including one where a customer was pistol whipped, were listed in a press release from CMPD:
- May 13, 2019, 01:15 a.m: Police say two male suspects robbed the Circle K on Harris Station Boulevard. At least one of the suspects was armed with a handgun, but the employee was not injured.
- May 22, 2019, 12:42 a.m: Police say the 7-Eleven on Monroe Road was robbed at gunpoint by two male suspects both armed with handguns. The employee was not injured.
- May 27, 2019, 09:31 a.m: Police say a male suspect armed with a handgun attempted to rob the 7-Eleven located on Tuckaseegee Road. Kylvin Jones has been charged in this case.
- May 28, 2019, 11:30 p.m: Police say two male suspects robbed the Circle K located on Central Avenue. Both suspects were armed with handguns, but the employee was not injured during the robbery.
- May 29, 2019, 09:17 p.m: Police say two male suspects armed with handguns robbed the Auto Zone located on South Boulevard. No one was injured during the robbery.
- May 29, 2019, 10:01 a.m: Police say two male suspects, at least one which was armed with a handgun, robbed the Walgreens on Albemarle Road. No one was injured during the robbery.
- June 4, 2019, 12:40 a.m: Police say two male suspects armed with handguns robbed the Circle K on Harris Station Boulevard. The employee was not injured during the robbery.
- June 4, 2019, 02:18 a.m: Police say three male suspects armed with handguns robbed the Express Mart on Nations Ford Road. The suspects robbed both the business as well as a customer, who was pistol whipped during the robbery.
As a result of continued investigation and evaluation by law enforcement officials, Kylvin Jones and Gerrell Hart-Smith, were identified as suspects in all eight cases referenced above. Demondre Smith was identified as being a suspect in all cases except for the incident at the 7-Eleven on Tuckaseegee Road.
Warrants were issued for the arrest of all three suspects.
They have since been arrested, interviewed by detectives and taken to the Mecklenburg County Sherriff’s Office.
Detectives are continuing to investigate and evaluate these and other cases to determine any connections.
Anyone with information about these cases or any other case is asked to call 911 or leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600 or visit the Crimes Stoppers website.