Dogs and pig save sleeping woman from Bullitt Co. house fire

The aftermath of the Bullitt County house fire.
The aftermath of the Bullitt County house fire.
Updated: Jan. 6, 2019 at 12:21 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Bullitt Co. woman saved from house fire by dogs, pig

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - A woman escaped a massive house fire near Shepherdsville Friday night.

Zoneton Fire Department said the call came in around 7:30 p.m. of a fully involved structure fire.

A woman and her two sons lived in the home. The woman was able to escape with no injuries.

“She had three dogs and a pig,” said Zoneton Fire Marshal Kevin Mouton. “They were all in a kennel while she was asleep in bed during the fire. What woke her was the animals.”

Across the street, Annette Duncan was home watching TV with her son.

The house was engulfed in flames.
The house was engulfed in flames.

“My son comes out of his room, running and he said, ‘Mom don’t you hear that? Don’t you hear that?’ and I said, ‘I don’t hear anything’ and he said, ‘somebody is screaming for help,’” recalled Duncan.

They looked out the front door and saw the house engulfed in flames.

“We both ran out,” said Duncan. “We didn't have our shoes or anything.”

Duncan’s son tried to find a way to get in the house, thinking the woman was trapped inside. Instead, he found her hiding behind her truck and brought her back across the street.

“She was just laying on my floor, covered in black soot,” said Duncan.

Duncan described the woman as distraught, because she had been trying to get back into the home she so narrowly escaped, to save the lives that saved hers.

The three dogs and pig were still locked inside the kennel and did not make it out.

“It was just an awful, awful noise…The dogs and the pig crying and trying to get out,” Duncan recalled with tears in her eyes.

As the fire raged on and firefighters arrived on scene, ammo and fireworks in the home started going off, adding to the confusion. Then a car pulled up.

“It was her sons, and of course they were freaking out, thinking their mom was in there, and I kept hollering and telling them that I had their mom in my house,” said Duncan, getting emotional.

Even with everyone out of harm’s way and the confusion beginning to die down, Duncan said there was still no relief.

“I mean they just had to stand here and watch their house burn down,” said Duncan.

Fairdale and Nichols Fire Departments assisted. The fire took 30 minutes to control, but firefighters remained for several more hours.

Mouton said the cause is unknown because there’s too much damage to tell. The woman said she had a space heater and there were electrical issues in the home.

The Red Cross is assisting the family. They don’t have insurance.

A friend has started a GoFundMe page for the woman and her family. You can contribute to the GoFundMe page here.

Copyright 2019 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.