From Johnson & Wales Associate Instructor/Chef Susan Yelliott-Batten
Serves 8 to 12
1 cup mashed sweet potato (freshly cooked or canned)
2 large eggs
2 egg whites
1 ½ cups buttermilk
2 1/3 cups cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
½ cup butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9" baking pan or cast iron skillet.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat sweet potato, eggs and buttermilk together.
- 3. In another bowl, combine all dry ingredients well.
- 4. Add dry ingredients to sweet potato mixture. Add melted butter. Stir only well enough to incorporate wet and dry ingredients. Do not over mix.
- 5. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-45 minutes.