(SOURCE: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department)
1. Do not publicize the fact that you are going on vacation.
2. Put lights and a radio on timers.
3. Burn an outside light all night, not just when you go away.
4. Do not close your blinds and curtains if you do not normally do so while you are home.
5. Do not stop deliveries! Have a neighbor pick them up for you, as well as circulars that accumulate by the front door.
6. Make arrangements to have the lawn cut while you are away.
7. Turn your telephone ringer down to low or turn on the answering machine. Do not leave messages saying that you are on vacation or when you will return home.
8. Lock all doors (including garage doors), windows and screens before leaving.
9. Store items such as lawn furniture, garden tools and hanging baskets in a secure area of your residence.
10. Ask neighbors to look out for your residence while you are away.
11. Consider asking a neighbor to park a vehicle in your driveway during your absence.
12. Leave a phone number with a neighbor where you can be contacted in case of an emergency.
13. Call the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department or 311 to request a zone check of your residence while you are away.