Firework Facts and Safety Information - | WBTV Charlotte

Firework Facts and Safety Information

Reported by: Kristen Miranda, WBTV

Posted by: Josh Thompson, News Intern

A recent story of a 9 year-old boy in Virginia who suffered from burns over nearly half his body when his shirt caught fire after playing with sparklers has people thinking about firework safety and facts. 

This story may sound unusual but sadly statistics show that it is not, and that children are most at risk when playing with fireworks.
 
One-third of all firework injuries are to children under the age of 5 and the most likely group of people to be injured are boys between 10 and 14. 

The biggest cause of these injuries could surprise you, they most often occur from sparklers, which are legal in North and South Carolina. 

The fire department and the fire prevention crew showed us a demonstration with their thermal imaging camera to prove just how hot sparklers and other fireworks can get.

Once a small sparkler is lit it can heat up to 400 degrees according to the thermal imaging equipment, and after it burned out was still 150 degrees. 

The other fireworks tested hit between 300-500 degrees and they are considered very small compared to others on the market. 

Shockingly, the larger sparklers can reach up to 1800 degrees, quite hot considering that water boils at 250 degrees.

Fireworks can be a lot of fun, just remember to be safe and make sure you have a bucket of water and a fire extinguisher handy.  Also keep in mind that no kids under 16 should be using fireworks and that nobody should be consuming alcohol and lighting off fireworks.

Powered by Frankly