Crawfish Jambalaya Risotto
Company / Location: Johnson & Wales University
Serving Size: 2 servings
List Ingredients: (English Measurements, no abbreviations)
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups shrimp broth
3/4 cup dry white wine
6 T. butter
2 t. garlic, minced
1 each green pepper, diced
1/4 t. crushed red pepper
1/2 lb. uncooked large crawfish, peeled
3/4 cup onion, finely diced
1 ½ cups arborio rice
4 ozs. taso ham, or smoked ham. diced
6 ozs. tomatoes, diced
4 T. fresh parsley, chopped
To Taste Tabasco
1. Bring broth and 1/4 cup wine to simmer in medium saucepan.
2. Reduce heat; keep hot.
3. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium heat.
4. Add 1 teaspoon garlic, greed pepper, celery and crushed red pepper, then crawfish.
5. Sauté until crawfish begin to turn white/pink, about 2 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup wine. Simmer until crawfish are just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove crawfish mixture, set aside, and reserving cooking liquid.
6. Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in same large saucepan over medium heat.
7. Add onion and remaining 1 teaspoon garlic; sauté until onion is pale golden, about 4 minutes.
8. Add rice and stir to coat, about 2 minutes.
9. Add 2 cups broth mixture. Simmer until liquid is absorbed, stirring often. Continue adding broth mixture 1 cup at a time, stirring often and simmering until liquid is absorbed before adding more, about 20 minutes. Stir in reserved crawfish cooking liquid. Cook until rice is just tender and mixture is creamy, about 5 minutes longer.
10. Remove from heat.
11. Stir in cooked crawfish, taso, tomatoes and 2 tablespoons parsley into risotto.
12. Season risotto to taste with Tabasco, sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
13. Transfer to bowls.
14. Serve with some shredded parmesan cheese on top.
Chef Notes: (optional)