One person killed in Burke County house fire

One person killed in Burke County house fire

BURKE COUNTY, NC (WBTV) - A deadly fire that broke out at  Burke County home Wednesday has been ruled accidental.

The fire broke out just before 6:30 p.m. at a home on George Hildebran School Road. Officials say a gas grill on the deck started the fire.

Officials said the victim's body was found as firefighters were extinguishing the flames.

The fire was reported by a passerby. The George Hildebran Fire Department responded along with mutual aid from Icard, Lovelady, Mountain View, Enola, South Mountain and Cookesville Fire Departments.

The two-story single-family residence was up in flames when crews arrived.

Neighbors told officials that only one person lived at the residence; however, they could not confirm if the person was home at the time of the fire.

Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control within 20 minutes.

As the fire was being put out, firefighters located a body believed to be the sole person who lived in the home. The person's name is being withheld pending positive identification by the Medical Examiner's Office.

Burke County Sheriff's Office and the NC SBI were also called in to investigate, which is standard practice with a fire fatality.

Copyright 2018 WBTV. All rights reserved.