GASTONIA, NC (WBTV) - Two people were severely burned in a fire at a plastic company in Gastonia Wednesday.
According to the Gastonia Fire Department, crews responded to the fire in the 100 block of Roechling Street at 4:16 p.m.
Upon arrival, crews found Rochling Plastics with employees evacuating the facility.
Firefighters went into the facility and found fire at the back of the building, and the sprinkler system in the facility activated. Firefighters extinguished the flames in approximately 30 minutes.
Two employees of the facility sustained second-degree burns and were taken to Caromont Regional Medical Center.
One firefighter was taken to Caromont Regional Medical Center with heat-related injuries.
The Gastonia Fire Marshal's office ruled the fire accidental that started when an auger fell in to electrical wiring, which created a spark that set fire to materials in the plant.
The machinery in the plant sustained substantial damage as a result of the fire.