BOONE, NC (WBTV) - A Boil Water Advisory was lifted in Boone Thursday following a major water line that broke early Wednesday morning.
A driver who struck multiple fire hydrants prior to the water main break now faces drunk driving charges, officials say.
The 12-inch water main break happened around 12 a.m. along Highway 105, closing the area for a time. By 12 p.m., all lanes were open and the water main was fixed.
"We are encouraging restaurants, childcare facilities, healthcare facilities, and other institutions to use specific guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and the NC Environmental Health Emergency Preparedness and Recovery Guidance Manual for North Carolina which provides information on handwashing, food preparation, dish washing, consumption of water, overall bacterial control, and how to alert healthcare patients about this notice," Health Director Jennifer Greene said Wednesday.
The advisory was lifted around 11:30 a.m. Thursday after the Water Treatment Plant reported water samples were negative of any bacteria.
The Division of Water Resources previously advised consumers to boil all water used for human consumption or use bottled water.
Public Works officials believe that pressure on the underground pipe caused it to break. A "significant amount of water" poured out said officials and pressure was lost in many areas of Boone.
Boone officials say residents may have experienced some "banging" in the pipes when the water service was being restored and that water may appear cloudy, which is caused by air in the pipes.
"Vigorous boiling for one (1) minute should kill any disease-causing organisms that may be present in the water," Boone town officials said.
If someone accidentally ingests water that has not been boiled they should still be okay.
"There is no need to panic," said Greene.
She advised people to be aware of the situation and if they do begin to feel ill after drinking water that has not been boiled, to contact their doctor.