No charges against woman who shot, killed man in Burke County

BURKE COUNTY, NC (WBTV) - The District Attorney has decided no criminal charges against a woman who shot and killed a man in Burke County early Thursday.

Deputies believe an altercation between the man and his girlfriend lead to the shooting. The woman's mother reportedly admitted to shooting the man, claiming it was in self-defense, according to deputies.

The DA says after looking at the evidence and talking to law enforcement he believes the shooting was justified.

PREVIOUS STORY: Deputies: Woman admits to fatally shooting Morganton man, claims it was self-defense

According to the Burke County Sheriff's Office, the shooting happened at a mobile home in the Shady Acres Mobile Home Park on U.S. Highway 64 in Morganton. Deputies arrived to the home shortly before 1:30 a.m. and found 46-year-old Vernon Eugene Dale dead with a gunshot wound.

Two children were also inside the home when the shooting occurred, deputies say.

Deputies say Dale was served warrants Wednesday afternoon accusing him of assault by pointing a gun. Neighbors say Dale had been in an altercation with a Trailer Park worker recently and believe that's where the charges stem from. It also is the reason, they said, why Dale and his girlfriend were being evicted.

Dale has a criminal history of drug and DWI charges. Michael Chisholm says he heard Dale's truck drive in early Thursday morning. "The tires were spinning and everything." Ten minutes later he heard a single shot.

Copyright 2017 WBTV. All rights reserved.