UNION COUNTY, NC (WBTV) - The Union County community rallied together to help a detention officer whose home was damaged in a fire on Black Friday in 2014.
According to the Union County Sheriff's Office, Sherry Silvey was stuck in traffic on New Salem Road due to a house fire on Nov. 28, 2014. She was reportedly "shocked" when she learned that the traffic was stopped due to the fire which was underway at her house, deputies say.
Deputies say a neighbor reported seeing smoke and flames behind her home. Firefighters were able to contain the fire which was near a gas HVAC unit before it had spread to the entire mobile home, according to deputies.
The sheriff's office says the fire left extensive smoke damage and her home was considered "uninhabitable."
Deputies partnered with Have a Heart Foundation to "solicit donations, materials and labor to build a house on the land where the fire occurred."
Several companies donated labor and materials, the sheriff's office said. Silvey and her adopted granddaughter were able to move into the newly remodeled home on Nov. 17 after not having a permanent home for nearly three years, deputies say.
The sheriff's office released this statement on behalf of Silvey Tuesday:
Sheriff Eddie Cathey also released this statement:
The community is welcomed to attend an open house scheduled for Dec. 19 at 4 p.m. at 6514 New Salem Road in Monroe.