Occupants escape fire that heavily damaged Salisbury home - | WBTV Charlotte

Occupants escape fire that heavily damaged Salisbury home

David Whisenant-WBTV David Whisenant-WBTV
David Whisenant-WBTV David Whisenant-WBTV
David Whisenant-WBTV David Whisenant-WBTV
SALISBURY, NC (WBTV) -

Fire caused heavy damage to home in Salisbury on Friday morning.

The fire was called in just after 8:00 am in the 900 block of Rowan Avenue.

When firefighters arrived there were heavy flames and smoke coming from the single story house.

Investigators said that the occupant of the home was safely outside when firefighters arrived, though she was being treated at the scene by responders with the Rowan Rescue Squad.

According to a family member, one of the occupants is a disabled woman and was asleep at the time of the fire.  The woman's daughter ran to her mother, wrapped her in a blanket, put her in her wheelchair, and was able to get her outside as the fire spread inside the house.

The fire appeared to have started in the kitchen, according to officials.

The American Red Cross is helping four adults displaced by the fire.

One of the occupants lost all of her clothes in the fire.  Coincidentally, the Red Cross had just gotten a small donation of clothes earlier this week.

“We don’t normally provide clothes or things like that, usually just monetary assistance for them to buy clothes or things like that so this was a little out of the ordinary," said Daniel Michael of the Red Cross.  "Every call is different, I believe those clothes were dropped off for a reason.”

Two turtles were spotted inside a tank in the burning house by a firefighter.  He picked them up and carried them to safety, to the great relief of the homeowner.

A family member said that a pet cat in the house did not survive.

A fund has now been set up to help the family: https://www.gofundme.com/x2qte-sisters-house-burned-down

Copyright 2017 WBTV.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly