SALISBURY, NC (WBTV) - A three alarm fire occurred in the 500 block of Gaskey Road in Salisbury. Heavy flames and smoke were visible coming from the home.
The fire was reported just after 9:00 am and smoke could be seen for miles, even in downtown Salisbury.
Residents had received an eviction notice early Tuesday morning.
Chief Rusty Alexander of the Locke Volunteer Fire Department said that when firefighters arrived there were heavy flames in the basement and smoke "coming from every inch of the house."
Chief Alexander called for extra manpower due to the extreme heat of the flames and the high humidity.
"Humidity today makes it like 95 degrees on a summer day," Alexander said. "We added two additional companies on the third alarm due to the high humidity today."
One firefighter was treated at the scene by Rowan Emergency Services for a minor injury after falling.
The Rowan Sheriff's Office and Rowan Fire Marshal's Office are investigating the circumstances that led to the fire.
A neighbor who knows the resident well, says she doesn't think the fire is suspicious, and says the resident told her what happened.
"I think Gary is a good boy, I think Gary is a good boy.," Shirley Henrickson. "He was working in a generator in the basement and it exploded and they was some gas in the floor and it caught that gas and it just ignited."
"Yeah, he's a good guy, neighborly, helpful," added neighbor Jerry Boucher.