SALISBURY, NC (WBTV) - A family of five is getting help from the American Red Cross after fire heavily damaged their home on Wednesday morning.
The fire was reported just after 7:30 at a home in the 200 block of Geiger Lane. Geiger Lane is near Miller Chapel Road and Miller Road west of Salisbury.
The Rowan County Fire Marshal's Office was told by the resident that she boiled water for tea and left the kitchen, only to return and find the kitchen on fire.
A pan with cooking oil on the stove from the night before got hot and ignited, according to investigators.
Several fire departments responded, including, Locke, South Salisbury, Atwell, China Grove, Bostian Heights and Landis, as well as Rowan County EMS.
EMS personnel did have to treat someone at the scene for smoke inhalation, but they were not taken to the hospital.