CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - The American Red Cross, Charlotte and local partners are working together to open a shelter for out-of-state evacuees escaping Hurricane Irma.
The shelter will be located at J.M. Alexander Middle School on Hambright Road in Huntersville.
It is set to open today at 5 p.m. The shelter is equipped to accommodate evacuees with special needs and ones with pets.
The other local partners providing assistance during the sheltering operation include:
- Metrolina Healthcare Preparedness Coalition
- Mecklenburg EMS Agency – Medic
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department Animal Care and Control
- Huntersville Police Department
- Charlotte Fire Department
- Huntersville Fire Department