CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Hundreds of thousands of students in the WBTV viewing area went back to school Monday, Aug. 28.
"We're really excited about the opening of schools. We're really excited about what we can do for the kids," CMS Superintendent Dr. Clayton M. Wilcox said, at an Aug. 16 media briefing. "We're going to build on a rich legacy of success."
Other districts heading back include Gaston County, Union County, Anson County, Burke County, Caldwell County, Alexander County, Cleveland County, Lincoln County, Catawba County, Iredell-Statesville, Rowan-Salisbury, Stanly County, Richmond County, Hickory, Newton-Conover, Kannapolis, and Mooresville.
CMS says they have less than 80 teacher vacancies this year and they have drivers in place for each of their 1,078 buses. All 176 schools have been scrubbed and painted.
CMS is still looking for 33 bus drivers but plans to use supervisors and lead drivers to fill the spots for now. CMS says the district has about 126,000 students who will use the bus to get to and from school.
The district's transportation center, which can be reached at 980-343-6715, is open to help parents.
All students grades 3-12 will have Chromebooks. The district says they expect to add around 750 students, bringing the total enrollment number to more than 150,000.
Schools in several North Carolina mountain counties went back last week.
Students in South Carolina went back the previous week.