Worker taken to hospital with CO poisoning from school in Huntersville

Worker taken to hospital with CO poisoning from school in Huntersville

HUNTERSVILLE, NC (WBTV) - An employee at a school in Huntersville was taken to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday night.

The incident happened before 9 p.m. at the Phoenix Montessori Academy on the 12300 block of Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road. Firefighters said when they were called to the scene the CO levels were "way above normal."

The school was closed, but two workers were inside the building cleaning at the time. One of those workers, whose name has not been released, was taken to the hospital.

Firefighters credit the CO alarms for saving the workers.

"Without them, the workers could have suffered life-threatening injuries," firefighters said.

The cause of the elevated Co levels is under investigation.

Copyright 2017 WBTV. All rights reserved.