GASTONIA, NC (WBTV) - A young Gastonia girl is in critical condition after investigators say she accidentally choked herself while playing in a closet.
According to Gastonia Police, the incident happened Wednesday morning at The Oaks Apartments on Balthis Drive. Officers say the 6-year-old was playing in the closet and got hung-up on something.
The girl was taken to Levine Children's Hospital in Charlotte where she is listed in critical condition. Investigators say she appears to be making a recovery and they are hopeful that her condition will improve by Thursday morning.
Investigators say the incident appears to be an accident but is still under investigation.