SALISBURY, NC (WBTV) - The recent rash of overdose cases in Salisbury and Rowan County became a stark reality for store and restaurant owners and shoppers on the sidewalks of downtown Salisbury on Friday afternoon.
A man and a woman passed out on the sidewalk in the 100 block of S. Main Street at around 3:00 pm. Police say they believe the couple had taken drugs while sitting in their pick-up truck.
A five-year-old boy was with the couple.
Witnesses saw the two adults unconscious on the sidewalk. Bystanders called 911 while a store owner took the child inside a shop.
Firefighters from the Salisbury Fire Department, along with Rowan County EMS, and the Salisbury Police Department all responded.
Main Street was filled with emergency vehicles and closed to traffic for a short time.
Emergency workers were able to revive the adults after several minutes. Both were taken to the hospital. What appeared to be drug paraphernalia was found on the front seat of the truck.
Police took the young boy, who is now staying with a relative.
A few hours after the scene cleared, local shop owner Nancy Vick was surprised to see one of the two who had been treated back, sorting through his truck.
Vick decided to approach the man. She says she wanted to know why he was not in jail.
"He said 'Well, I wasn't arrested.' And then I was surprised," Vick says.
Vick went over the scene with the man, discussing his apparent overdose, but he denied everything.
"He said, 'No, everything is fine, I was just hot. And I passed out on the sidewalk,'" VIck says.
Police say they are now reviewing whether or not the couple will face charges.?