Burning candle causes east Charlotte apartment fire - | WBTV Charlotte

Burning candle causes east Charlotte apartment fire

Fred Craft/ WBTV Fred Craft/ WBTV
Fred Craft/WBTV Fred Craft/WBTV
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

One family was displaced Sunday morning when a fire tore through their apartment in east Charlotte. 

The fire started just before 4 a.m. at an apartment on Snow Lane.

Firefighters say the family was lighting a candle after a car took out a power pole nearby and caused power outages in the area. Firefighters say the candle caused the fire.

RELATED: Car crashes into power pole, nearly 5,000 households lose power 

One apartment unit was destroyed, but several residents had smoke and water damage. The Charlotte Fire Department says the estimated damage costs were around $75,000. The American Red Cross is helping the family. 

No one was hurt. 

Copyright 2017 WBTV. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Resilient NC Transportation Museum boasts bigger attendance, new exhibits

    Resilient NC Transportation Museum boasts bigger attendance, new exhibits

    Thursday, July 19 2018 11:08 AM EDT2018-07-19 15:08:49 GMT
    (David Whisenant-WBTV)(David Whisenant-WBTV)
    (David Whisenant-WBTV)(David Whisenant-WBTV)

    It is a story of resilience and how to survive tough times.  In 2011 the North Carolina Transportation Museum in Spencer appeared to be running out of track. 

    More >>

    It is a story of resilience and how to survive tough times.  In 2011 the North Carolina Transportation Museum in Spencer appeared to be running out of track. 

    More >>
  • Six nurses in same NC hospital unit find out they're pregnant

    Six nurses in same NC hospital unit find out they're pregnant

    Thursday, July 19 2018 10:53 AM EDT2018-07-19 14:53:23 GMT
    Credit: Photo provided to CBSCredit: Photo provided to CBS
    Credit: Photo provided to CBSCredit: Photo provided to CBS

    Six nurses in Winston-Salem, North Carolina are sharing a serendipitous connection. All of them are pregnant, all of them work at an outpatient oncology clinic at the Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center and all of them found out within months of each other.

    More >>

    Six nurses in Winston-Salem, North Carolina are sharing a serendipitous connection. All of them are pregnant, all of them work at an outpatient oncology clinic at the Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center and all of them found out within months of each other.

    More >>
  • One person killed in Burke County house fire

    One person killed in Burke County house fire

    Thursday, July 19 2018 10:28 AM EDT2018-07-19 14:28:43 GMT
    (Steve Ohnesorge | WBTV)(Steve Ohnesorge | WBTV)

    The fire broke out just before 6:30 p.m. at a home on George Hildebran School Road. Officials said the victim's body was found as firefighters were putting the fire out.

    More >>

    The fire broke out just before 6:30 p.m. at a home on George Hildebran School Road. Officials said the victim's body was found as firefighters were putting the fire out.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly