Cooking fire displaces 5 people in southwest Charlotte

Cooking fire displaces 5 people in southwest Charlotte
John Sparks/WBTV
John Sparks/WBTV

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Five people were displaced in an apartment fire in southwest Charlotte Friday night.

According to the Charlotte Fire Department, the fire occurred around 11 p.m. at an apartment in the 2800 block of Toomey Avenue. Firefighters said the cause of the blaze was traced to a cooking fire. The fire was mostly contained to the kitchen, crews said.

No one was hurt.

Firefighters said the American Red Cross is assisting those who were displaced.

Copyright 2017 WBTV. All rights reserved